Chartered in 1949, the Monroe Township Volunteer Fire Company #1 ran between 30-50 calls a year, being primarily brush fires. The three bay firehouse was built by the members in 1950. As years went by, the population grew, and with it the call volume. Two other fire companies emerged to help protect the expanding township. These were Applegarth Fire Company and Central Monroe Fire Department. Seeking independence from the other fire companies, the companies petitioned the township to form separate fire districts. The township agreed to the request and Monroe was separated into three independent fire districts. Monroe 1 would protect Fire District #1, Applegarth was assigned District #2, and District #3 was given to Central Monroe Fire Department.